Wednesday, February 23, 2011

5th Grader at TSC Helps Provide Water for Thousands...


My name is Elizabeth, and I am a 5th grader at Thompson Station Church. In late November, I went to the Global Impact Conference at my church. I thought it was going to just be pretty boring. That definitely was not the case.  

That night my heart was opened when a guy named Spencer got up to talk. He told us all about how the water people drink in some parts of the world is basically mud and how people walk miles just for water. But what really pulled on my heart was that so many little children were dying every day from it.


That put the worst thought in my head. If my little sister, Emily, was living there she would most likely die.  I couldn’t imagine seeing her one day and her being gone the next simply because she had unclean drinking water.


God must have really wanted me to hear this message because the next morning Spencer showed up in my Sunday school class too.  This time I knew that God was trying to tell me something.

That is when I told everybody… my family, my friends and even my school. It had a major impact on my life.

Within a few months this was a major project that my school became interested in.  My school is now working to pay for the cost of at least two wells but there is certainly no limit to what God might do as more people get involved.

It also had a great impact on my family.  I asked my parents if we could not take our usual trip over Christmas break and use that money to fund a well.  After praying about it, we knew what the best use of that money would be and our family funded our first well for people in India. 

It has been a really cool experience to see this whole project go from something I just heard about at a conference and in my Sunday school class, to now something that my family and whole school is taking part in.   

I am so glad I am at a church where I get to hear about organizations as awesome as Neverthirst.  God has put me in a very special place. 


(For more info on NeverThirst, go to http://www.neverthirstwater.org/. In 2011, TSC plans to also build at least three wells in Northern India and also in Sudan through GOCTW funding.)

1 comment: