Thursday, February 16, 2012

A Glimpse of Heaven

 
By Joanna Reekers

“After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes, and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and be for the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands, and crying out with a loud voice “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!” Revelation 7: 9-10


Amazing things are happening in Central Asia.  I was grateful to serve with our brothers and sisters across the world this past week!  There are so many stories I could share about the trip.  Our time in Central Asia consisted of teaching English while also building relationships with the students through board games, line dancing and even skiing! We had many laughs, cultural experiences, and impacting moments from God.  Although I would love to share about each of these days I feel burdened to share two stories.  The first is what I believe was a slight glimpse of Heaven and the second is about my new friend Z.

One Common Purpose: 
On our first day in Central Asia our team met some of fellow believers who have committed to reaching the university campuses.  Some are from the area and others came from surrounding countries. On Sunday we were able to get to know these believers and fellowship with them.  I was amazed at how quickly we connected even though we all came from different areas of the world.  At the end of the day they asked if they could pray over us.  In the Asian culture everyone prays at the same time, so they gathered around us and began to pray.  About 3 or 4 different languages were all being spoken as the team prayed with power on our behalf!  I was humbled as I felt the power of the Lord and the earnest prayers of believers brought together for a common purpose; the spread of the gospel.  They prayed with conviction and anticipation for the rest of the week. Later all of us from TSC reflected on the experience and felt we had caught a glimpse of Heaven as we heard multiple people pray together in different languages.  How beautiful it was to see believers brought together because of our faith in the one true Lord!  I wish every believer could have experienced that moment.  In our everyday life it’s easy to be engulfed in our routine and forget the greatest privilege we have of sharing the gospel.  Moments like this remind me of the promise of the Lord that he will raise up people to serve him all over the world from every tribe and tongue.  One day I will fellowship again with these believers, either on this earth or after this life is over.  My heart’s desire is that we too will pray with this sense of urgency and may we never forget our time here is temporary! 


A Friend With Questions:
One girl named Z, had met and connected with the TSC team who came in October.  However our team quickly noticed that she was not coming anymore to this English Center.  After contacting her she showed up about half way through the week.  On our last day we went to a museum and I walked with Z.  I prayed that as we talked about their history I would get to share with her.  Others have shared the gospel with her but she still has been resistant to believe.  Eventually we came across a mummy and I asked her why they tried to preserve the body.  She explained they believed in life after death.  I realized the Lord doesn’t give a clearer opportunity than this!  I asked her if she believed in life after death.  This led to a further conversation where I got to share my testimony with her.  Z told me she can see a difference between believers and those who don’t believe yet she still wanted to learn more before she made a decision.  After this conversation I was both thankful and burdened for Z. I am confident this was one of many seeds planted.  Z has a head knowledge about God but she has not experienced Him on a personal level.  Many people in Central Asia are like Z.  Their Muslim beliefs have given them knowledge and they simply hope they will be good enough to go to Heaven.  Early in the week another girl told me that she believed if she did her routine prayers she hoped that would be good enough.  Those students have yet to experience the Lord in their own personal life.  Please pray for Z and others like her.  Pray for the local team to reach students and that these students will become leaders in their own country.  I boldly ask you to be a part of lifting up fellow believers who are in this area sacrificing their time and resources for the sake of the gospel.  Pray that the seeds that were planted will be the beginning of something great in Central Asia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment