Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Honored to Serve the Lord



Testimony from East Africa July Team
by Lisa Ingraham: 


It’s too far!  There is so much unrest in Africa. I need to think about this a little more. I probably won’t be able to get this much time off from work.  These were some of the “worries” taking up space in my head earlier this year– and probably a few more that I can’t remember right now. But I began to make some tentative inquiries about these Connect Trips. After all, I still had time to back out. And then all of a sudden I had to make a decision – fast – like in just a couple of days. But I knew the Lord was leading me to visit my sponsored child. God had already provided the funds – I just needed to say yes, to traveling 7,000 miles with a complete group of strangers, halfway around the world. To join in with what God was doing. Henry Blackaby says it this way: “Service to the Lord is an honor God bestows on us, not a favor we do for God.” And it was an honor to serve with the leaders in East Africa just loving on the kids and in turn being loved by them. The kids’ smiles are infectious and the graciousness shown by those who materially have practically nothing to “us” who materially have comparatively everything is a memory I will hold onto forever. In them I see this:
In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.  (Philippians 4:12-13)
So I urge you to go. Save your money – trust God to provide what you lack – get your shots – pack your bags (and your flexible attitude) – and go.  The kids would love to hug you, love you and say thank you. And even if you have no sponsored child – go – let this group of kids steal your heart.   And when you come back home, share with others what God is doing. He opened a door for me to do just that at my company. My co-workers, boss and department head joined me for brown bag lunch to see the pictures of my time in East Africa. They were very touched by it all and I’m praying that through this God will continue to open doors to share more about Jesus and the call for everyone to follow Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment