Friday, August 3, 2012

Parables, Goats, and a Message of Hope

By Kristen Murray:

Today is our last full day here.  We leave tomorrow night for home.  I am really going to miss the people here in East Africa.  I am looking forward to a good shower, a salad and some fresh fruit!  You can't eat any of that unless it's in a peel (banana) or cooked (like stir fry veggies).  God has been so good to me and I have slept better here than back home.  I guess he knows how grouch I am if I don't get enough sleep and he wasn't up for me being a whiner while serving him here.

Yesterday we taught the kids about parables and acted out the parable of the sower and the parable of the talents.  I think they enjoyed it and understood.  We also did a visual with instant snow where we added water and it grew just like we grow when we are reading Gods word and praying.  Then we took some of the kids out to a restaurant.  Only the kids whose sponsors are here were able to go with us.  They loved it!  Someone told me the first time any of the kids got to go to a restaurant they sat in a circle and giggled.  When one of the leaders asked what was so funny they said they use to eat out of the trash cans in the back of the restaurant and now they were sitting inside eating.  Isn't that precious?  I think they had a special day!

We did some shopping at the open market by the post office after that and then went out for bowling and pizza.  Team bonding time.  A few people on our team have had stomach issues in the last 24 hours so please keep them in your prayers. We have had a phenomenal time but it is hard on our bodies.  The food is very different and the smog gives us daily headaches.  But without a doubt we would all do it again if we had the ability financially and if God called us to it.

Today we are sharing the gospel.  Pray, pray, pray that God opens their ears to hear the truth of the message that there IS hope in God.  Some of the kids, like Kennedy, have a relationship with God and you can see the hope in his eyes.  We are also making visits to some of the kids homes and taking food to them.  Afterwards we are going to the leprosy hospital. 

We are also going to the goat market to purchase goats for tomorrows celebration dinner.  We are buying mattresses for several homes as well.  A really full day!!

Love you all and after I get over my 24 hour travel day I look forward to telling you about my trip.  Thanks for the prayers and financial support.

2 comments:

  1. Kristen, it has been a joy to hear how much you love the people and place that we have grown to love as well. Thank you for going with a happy heart and for serving with enthusiasm. You make me miss Korah!

    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete