Friday, August 31, 2012

Blessed in the Storm


    
 As many of you have heard this past week was a difficult one. Two Saturdays ago we were in a car accident where a Haitian woman was badly injured when she walked into our van going 60mph and then we had the tropical storm Isaac knocking on our door. My friends here and I have spent the last five days physically, emotionally, and practically recovering from it all. Thanks to Jesus we did not receive any damage from the storm and all of the orphanages and churches we work with are strong and well too. I am beginning to learn how resilient the Haitian people are. They are a people who walk in faith that God protects them and bounce back very quickly as storms and other trials hit their country. (Just to clarify, the 2010 earthquake was a whole different story and trial for Haiti and did leave them in shambles for a long while). Between the bad car accident, my first experience in a hurricane/tropical storm, and a great need to talk things through with someone who could fully understand me, I was feeling pretty down and depleted. That evening, last Sunday, I received a phone call from a missionary here in Haiti that I have gotten to meet on a few occasions. She is 25 and currently living in Haiti and in the process of adopting her sweet 3 year old daughter Phoebe Kate. Jessica asked if I would be interested in accompanying her to a 2 day trip to the beach, her treat. I knew this was the sweetest gift to me from the Lord. The Lord used those few days to replenish me and give me one of the kindest friends. I am very grateful to know Jessica well now and we found that we had so much in common. Yesterday we were also able to take a trip to visit one of Haiti’s most beautiful landmarks, a waterfall called Sodo. It was again a peaceful and fulfilling day with our wonderful Haitian friends.
I cannot give you all enough thanks for your prayers while I have been in Haiti. I thank you all for praying through these past few weeks especially. They have been a crazy ride, but Jesus is faithful and true to all of his promises. I know there were many moments that your prayers were keeping us above water and from losing hope. 
            This next week coming is full of exciting opportunities. A team from California is coming to work with World Orphans. We will be loving on tons and tons of children and embracing the beautiful people of Haiti with Christ’s love. I am really looking forward to it! After they head back to the states we also are making plans to visit some of the orphanages that my heart is connected to the most. I’m sure many pictures and stories will come soon!Thank you again for your prayers, support and encouragement. They mean the world to me.

This week if you all could be praying for:
-       The continual perfect leadership of Holy Spirit, that my spiritual ears would be all tuned in to His voice, so much clarity
-       Amazing and deep times spent in the Word and in prayer
-       My Haitian friends and family (specifically blessings and open doors for my hosts Ron and     Vanessa Watson)
-       Recovery from any storm damage caused by Isaac in Haiti
-       Open doors for ministry and evangelism
-       Continual wisdom and understanding in Haitian culture
-       Grace upon grace to learn more and more Creole
-       Direction for the next 3 ½ months and when I arrive back home
-       More and more faith to trust Jesus
-       Simply to know God more

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your update. Sounds like you've had some trying times yet some wonderful times in Haiti. May God continue to keep you safe and in His care. That He will guide you and you will be open to His leading. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete