Monday, June 20, 2011

Being Blessed in the Process. . .

By Robin Spychalski

In January of this year I went to East Africa with a Project 61 team.  This was my first mission trip.  Over the last four years the Lord has shown my husband and I the importance of missions and has made it clear for us to be a part of taking the gospel around the world.  In April of 2010, with the Lord’s direction, my husband and I decided to sponsor a young girl through P61 and by June I knew the Lord was calling me to go. To be honest, agreeing with the Lord that I should go 8,000 miles away was very hard for me.  Actually, the hardest part of my journey to East Africa was actually answering the call - being obedient and saying “yes”.  Leaving my family seemed beyond my ability.  And beyond my ability it was… but not beyond His!

The trip itself had so many amazing moments for me.  Like meeting the beautiful, young girl my family gets to sponsor.  To see first- hand how she has hope, loves her school and knows and loves Jesus!  Or, sitting inside the amphitheater with the boarding school kids and in spite of a language barrier be able to worship the same Savior through old gospel hymns.  I remember watching the beauty of that- Africans and Americans, young and old and thinking this is a glimpse of what heaven will be like when every tribe and every tongue comes together to worship our king!  Also, a moment of understanding first-hand the scripture in James 2:5 "Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him?"  Wow! The people of Korah and the church leadership is so rich in faith!  According to worldly standards those people have nothing.  And yet, I found myself wanting what they have- a rich, deep faith.

If the God of the universe is requesting your presence to be a part of changing lives- say YES!  Say it with excitement, with courage, and with an understanding that our God is trustworthy and faithful.  It will be a journey you will not want to miss!  And when you think you are there to bless others you will see that our amazing God is blessing you in the process. 

(For more information on how you can join a TSC mission team, go to http://www.goctw.org/, and check out the Missions at a Glance page for all future trips. All work done in East Africa is supported by the GOCTW yearly offering, which aids in providing food, supporting and sending workers, and whatever else is needed to minister to the community there.)

No comments:

Post a Comment